Monday, March 17, 2008

My Tony


Funny, loving, loyal, adventurous, outspoken, intelligent, free-spirited, generous, quirky, sweet, creative, Star Wars geek, musically gifted... just a few words that come to mind when I think about my best friend Tony. Unfortunately, on March 6th, the world lost an amazing individual. Tony passed peacefully in his sleep after a two year battle with brain cancer. He was 34 years young. He was a devoted husband to his beautiful wife Sinnamon, an inspirational teacher, an extremely talented and passionate musician, a father to his dog Max, and an incredibly fun friend. He was a son to my mother, a brother to my sister, and everything to me. I met at Tony at a party when I was 19 years old and my life was forever changed. We became fast friends bonding over favorite bands and music at the time, a love for the beach and our obsession for ice cream and all things sweet. For years we were inseparable. Summers were spent swimming in my mom's pool and endlessly lounging in her backyard, enjoying evenings out with huge groups of friends, going to watch his band Bikeride play at various venues, going to concerts, and laughing, laughing, laughing. Tony introduced me to life. He lived in the now. He didn't dwell over the past or worry about the future. He just wanted to enjoy the now the best way he could with as many people as possible. And he did just that. There was nobody like Tony. He was magnificently unique. My heart is broken that I now live in a world without him, but I find comfort knowing he is in heaven (probably organizing jam sessions with John Lennon and George Harrison, two of his musical icons) free from pain and watching over us all.
I love you, Tony.
Thank you for life.

9 comments:

Ash and Christian said...

What a great post. I totally got a glimpse into what he was like. Thanks for throwing a great shower. Hope everything went well on Saturday.

See you soon!!

sheena said...

Shawna this is so SO nice. Kasey has told me all about Tony, how lucky you girls were to have him!

so happy you're back.

kelly said...

I have only heard a little bit about Tony, but he sounds amazing and this tribute to him would make him proud I'm sure! This is such a sweet post.


I've missed you.

Mamasita said...

I love you too, tony. and shawna.
Kasey

zuniga family said...

That was absolutely beautiful. Although I vaguely remember him, I seem to remember him always laughing! I got a little choked up reading this and I wish his wife all the best.

Sarah Hull said...

Beautiful post to a beautiful person.

I love you.

Hess Fam said...

I'm so glad you were able to write your thoughts about Tony. Such a beautiful post. Love you!

A Rosie Family said...

Hey Shawna, this is Autumn. Even though I didn't know Tony or never got the chance to meet him I have to let you know that I heard he was an absoultely amazing guy and had an amazing family. I talked with one of the nurses that had the chance to take care of him in the ICU at Hoag and she was so touched by him and his family/friends. She had so many good things to say about him. How lucky you were to have been his friend. He touched the lives of many people at Hoag as I'm sure he did throughout his life!

Olive-us said...

Thank you all for your kind words. This post was very therapeutic for me and I am grateful for all the support.