Saturday, February 7, 2009

Maybe.

Maybe I was craving Super Mex yesterday.

Maybe I forced my kids and dad into the car and drove over to burrito heaven.

Maybe it was raining.

Maybe it was pouring rain.

Maybe the entire Super Mex parking lot was roped off for some reason.

Maybe there was one little area that was not roped off.

Maybe it was at one point roped off but the rain and wind had lowered the rope to the ground.

Maybe there were four cars already parked in this semi-roped off area.

Maybe I decided to join them.

Maybe we walked into the restaurant and were seated immediately.

Maybe we ordered our food and within minutes, were indulging in bean and cheese goodness.

Maybe the root beer was a-flowin.

Maybe my girls were behaving beautifully.

Maybe my dad was too.

Maybe the salsa was close to perfect.

Maybe I thought to myself mid burrito, that this was one of the best lunch experiences I have ever had.

Maybe this thought was interrupted by a loud, booming voice from across the room.

Maybe it was a sheriff.

Maybe he had a handlebar mustache.

Maybe it was red.

Maybe he was walking through the restaurant SHOUTING something about looking for the owner of a car.

Maybe the car he was describing sounded a lot like the one I drive.

Maybe it was my car.

Maybe I was pitting out a little bit.

Maybe the sheriff and I made eye contact.

Maybe he came over to our table asking me personally if I was the owner of this particular car.

Maybe he was still SHOUTING.

Maybe I said yes.

Maybe he scolded me on how I had parked illegally in a roped off area.

Maybe I said there were other cars parked there so I thought it was o.k.

Maybe he said my car was the only car there.

Maybe he said I needed to move it NOW.

Maybe I asked if I could take two more bites of my burrito first.

Maybe he said NO.

Maybe my dad offered to move the car in question.

Maybe I let him.

Maybe the Sheriff mad-dogged me while my dad left the restaurant to legally re-park the car.

Maybe I was staring at his mustache while he was mad-dogging me.

Maybe I finished every last bite of my burrito and had my third root beer refill while my dad drove around the restaurant looking for a parking spot.

Maybe it was still raining.

Maybe my dad returned from moving the car a little frustrated.

Maybe my car WAS the only car in the area in question.

Maybe the area in question WAS indeed roped off.

Maybe the local Sheriff's department was attempting to set up for a 5K race in honor of the hardworking, handlebar mustache sporting officers in our community.

Maybe I felt like an idiot.

Maybe my dad LOOKED like the idiot because he was the one that moved the car.

Maybe I paid for lunch because I felt so bad.

Maybe I won't show my face or car around that Super Mex for a while.

14 comments:

Kaylynn said...

Maybe I have to change my pants from laughing so hard at this post! You are hilarious!

Kaylynn said...

Maybe I have to change my pants from laughing so hard at this post! You are hilarious!

Kaylynn said...

Maybe I have to change my pants from laughing so hard at this post! You are hilarious!

Kaylynn said...

OK I'm still laughing so hard - I can't figure out what I did to post THREE times - but hey - sorry for hogging the comment section!

Kenny said...

Thank you for sharing. That's all I have to say. There are no words. None. So I guess I should stop writing. Now.

DAD said...

Maybe the sheriff did think the car I was moving was mine, Maybe all the people in the restaurant thought I was the big buffoon, I don’t care because my 2 soft chicken tacos, beans and rice smothered in guacamole were cooked with tender loving care, served piping hot with an Ice cold coke. Having lunch with three gorgeous girls.....Nothing else mattered

Sarah Hull said...

Maybe I was laughing SO hard at this post and then crying at your dad's comment!
Maybe I need super Mex ASAP and I am not even joking!
Maybe you should have offered the handlebar lovin' mustache sheriff a bite of the beans and his heart would have been softened. Maybe that is a dumb idea because we all know there is NO sharing when it comes to our bean and cheese heaven!
Maybe I Love this post and Maybe I love you!

Hess Fam said...

Sounds like it was maybe worth it?! Maybe your dad's comment is one of the cutest parts about this post!

Braden and Jodee said...

Thank you for saying mad-dogged.

Mama T said...

Just surfing through & wanted to say that your blog is delightful!

This "Maybe" post is hysterical!

zuniga family said...

Maybe I was loving this post. Maybe I would have paid money to see the look on your face! Maybe we need to hang out!

Mamasita said...

WOW! MAybe I am having my baby after laughing so freakin hard! NOBODY I mean NOBODY should mess with a girl who works hard everyday raising 2 stunning girls and all she want is a little Supermex. Come on was the race that day?

Marie said...

I was cowering in my seat thinking of how it must have felt to have that Sheriff shouting! I thought you parked in a murder scene :). I hope you go back, sounds like a yummy place.

kelly said...

you have serious talent! how can one person make me laugh SOOO incredibly hard, so often? this is the best post!