Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Best Day Ever/ Miracles Do Happen

Sometimes you wake up in the morning knowing what lies before you that day, but not knowing where the day will take you.

Late last night we returned home from our annual day-after-Thanksgiving-trip to San Francisco. Three fun filled days of Christmas tree lightings, shopping, cable car rides, ice skating, eating all things sourdough, and chasing Maggers down Lombard Street. When we finally arrived home after seven hours of driving, the only thing both Rob and I had the energy for was to transfer the girls from their goldfish cracker encrusted car seats to their comfy, yet freezing beds and brush our teeth.

So, today was the dreaded "back to reality" day: Unpacking the car, laundry, cleaning, sorting through the mail, trips to the grocery store, Trader Joe's, Target, taking Olive to piano lessons, etc. (I'm tired just typing about it). But, to my surprise everything went fairly well.

Suspiciously well.

First thing this morning, Rob pitched in with all the cleaning, the laundry, and basic house stuff so in no time, the house was clean and orderly.

Both Trader Joe's and Vons were uncrowded and fully stocked, with cashiers patiently waiting for me to check out as if I was the only one in the store.

And did I mention my girls?

BOTH perfectly behaved girls?

It was too good to be true! So, after piano lessons, dangerously close to dinner time, I took a chance. With empty stomachs, we went to Target. My final and most important stop. I figured with the way things were going today, I couldn't go wrong. For goodness sakes, I had Lady Luck, The Secret, Jesus, AND Santa Claus on my side! I could do this! We could do this!

And guess what?

It too, was perfect! I didn't even have to make a break to the Market Pantry snack isle to lovingly drown out the sounds of various screams of need with generic graham crackers.

So, while at the checkout counter discussing with my checker, Karen on how amazingly easy and productive the day was, JOKING with her how miracles happen, I saw it.

My heart raced as I instinctively shouted, "STOP IT!', out loud, yet to myself.

There it was.

My pat on the back. My ultimate Lady Luck/ The Secret/ Jesus/ Santa Claus gift. My Best Day Ever surprise. My miracle...



A "value pack" pack of my beloved Carmex.

That was enough to drop me to my knees in "Thank You, Lord" prayer! I had never seen the value pack before or knew it even existed!

Again, as I ripped the 3 pack from it's price tagless peg, again explaining to my new best friend Karen on how life changing this was, another miracle took place. Sweet Karen Looked me in the eyes and said, " Honey, that lip balm is on me."

I died.

Angles were singing, Santa's bells were chiming, snake eyes were on the table, and the Secret was out.

Sometimes you wake up in the morning knowing what lies before you that day, but not knowing where the day will take you.

I was glad this day was one beyond my control. In a good way.

A very good way.

7 comments:

Ash and Christian said...

Get out... what a great return-to-the-blogging-world post. And what a great day!

You and your carmex... a match made in heaven.

Hess Fam said...

laughing. thank you.

Kenny said...

laughing? i'm too jealous to laugh.

zuniga family said...

I need to use this secret thing more. And maybe I should follow in your footsteps and talk to strangers. Maybe I will get something free! What a great day!

Kaylynn said...

Thanks for making my day with this post! You have been missed!

Braden and Jodee said...

You should write a book. It could be like Seinfeld. About nothing really, just daily stuff, and it would be the best book ever. Olive had a great piano lesson too!

mommy melissa said...

is it a sign that i am a stressed out stay-at-home mom when this post makes me cry? seriously... i'm blubbering!