Thursday, December 6, 2007

Christmas Traditions

Growing up, my dad had established a Christmas Tradition where each year my sister and I would have our picture taken with Santa. To this day, my dad possesses this special, doberman-guarded photo album which preciously holds 31 years of priceless moments in time on Santa's lap. The album is truly special. Some pictures are breathtakingly cute- Kasey and I, ages 2 and 4, dressed in matching dresses with matching tights and hair bows, bubbling with excitement to be able to meet and slobber all over Santa. While some are painfully awkward -the teenage years- bucked teeth (sorry, Kasey) braces, puffy bangs, perms, leg warmers, ill-fitting Esprit outfits, worn out Reebok high tops, the two of us puberty stricken girls spilling off Santa's delicate knees with Santa not knowing where to place his hands on us in fear of having a child molestation suit slapped on him by my parents, etc.

The point is this, I love this tradition and always thought as a young gal that when I had children of my own, I would keep the tradition alive and have a delightful album with my beautiful offspring.

It sounds so great in theory, but so far, this is my reality.

Year #1: 2005

From left to right:
1. Kasey looks 20 times the size she is in real life and is bigger than Santa.
2. Riley looks, well, you be the judge.
3. Although you cannot tell from the photo, Ryan is Kasey's husband, not mine.
4. It looks as though my hair is permed and my baby is a plastic, fake one that I bought at a garage sale.
5. Jackson looks as though he knows no one in the picture and is scarred to death.
6. I'm sure there was a more flattering way Kasey and I could have placed our hands to showcase our babies.
7. I am not comfortable with Santa's creepy hand placement on Jackson's leg and his overly rosy-flushed cheeks.

"Maybe next year the kids will be older and the picture will be better."

Year #2: 2006

Olive was screaming and crying at first glance of this gentle giant in red. Although not yet mobile, she couldn't get off his lap fast enough. In fact, this is the first time she crawled/jumped/pooped her pants from fear.

"Maybe next year Olive will be older and the picture will be better."

Year #3: 2007


"Maybe next year Olive will be older and the picture will be better."

7 comments:

Sarah Hull said...

I am ROLLING IN LAUGHTER!!!!!! SO FUNNY. I LOVE all of these pictures so much! That first one is SO funny with all that is going on. I am just dying. I love the tradition...keep it going. It's classic!

Mamasita said...

That is the best! If you notice in that book there is a few years missing...when I as 1 & 2! I'm sure mom has them hidden in her closet next to the christmas presents we were never suppose to know about! I Love it! Why weren't we scared?

sheena said...

TEARS! Mascara running. Funniest thing ever (pic #1) Yes, Olive looks fake, and limp, and yes I noticed the great hand placement--esp Kasey's. Great!!

I'm so glad Olive is afraid of Santa--it means my kid must be normal. Jonah is also terrified--Santa tried to bribe him by waving a bag of candy out. Jonah ran as fast as he could, grabbed the candy, and ran off...never looking back.

zuniga family said...

I ditto everyone's comment. My mind is so fried, I can't come up with a creative comment.

Cherri Regnier said...

Love the photos! That will be a fun photo album. Adam went to see Santa at Disnelyand too and was super happy! Except for the crying part.

Mamasita said...

WOW! Sheena's right I was so busy looking at everything else that was wrong with the picture that I totally missed the death grip I have on my sons nuts!!OUCH!!

kelly said...

Oh my! I can't remember the last time I laughed SOO hard! (I had a good laugh at Sheena's Target blog) but your comments on these pictures are hilarious!!!

YOu have to have a Santa picture every year from now on...how funny to look back!