Friday, December 7, 2007

Let's Share Recipies! Week #4: Cures For Morning Sickness

......or in my case, ALL DAY sickness.
I'm miserable, I'll admit it.
I'm terrible first thing in the morning, o.k. in the mid morning to afternoon, then like clockwork, when Ellen comes on around 4pm, I'm a mess. Literally.
Having been through this before when I was pregnant with Olive, I'm no stranger to this stage of permanent nausea. But it wasn't this soon in my pregnancy, and it wasn't so relenting as it is now.
So, my friends, with all that being said, here is my "recipe suggestion" for the week.
Enjoy!

1. Eat something high in protein before going to bed. Helps your blood sugar stay more level.
** What, like a roasted chicken or something, yeah right!**
2. Two crackers before your head leaves the pillow is old but wise advice.
** Is that on my way to the toilet?**
3. Have sips of ice water as the urge to purge strikes. Many women say that this helps them keep meals down as well.
* * And REALLY give myself the chills, no thanks.**
4, Flat Sprite® is supposedly great at keeping the stomach from churning.
** I won't touch anything "flat".**
5. Avoid foods and smells that seem to trigger nausea. Sometimes this will be nearly every food or every smell.
** Ooohhh! I never thought of that! So, then what foods don't smell?**
6. Ginger, teas, cookies, even the spice can be helpful in preventing nausea.
** All I have been eating are cookies-not working.**
7. Acupressure bands can be worn like bracelets and can curb nausea while you wear them. But be forewarned as one mom says, stand next to a bucket when you take them off!
** I wonder if my doctor can permanently attach them to my wrists? I bet you some voodoo doctor in Tijuana could do it.
Nice suggestion!**
8. Peppermint, either smelling it in aromatherapy form or sipping the tea can help curb nausea. It's also known to help with sagging energy levels.
** In addition to cookies, candy canes are not working for me as well. And what's "sagging" is not my energy level.**
9. Try peanut butter or other protein snack before rising from your bed.
** So, I'll put peanut butter on my roasted chicken?**
10. A teaspoon of cider vinegar in a cup of warm water has been said to be effective.
** We're not removing stains here people, we're vomiting!! Vinegar??? Seriously???**
11. Take a deep breath. It might be mind over matter sometimes.
** Aahhh, it's just my over-active imagination! I've never thought of begging my body not to be ill and positively visualizing not being sick and praying every minute for a calm intestinal tract!**
12. Comfort foods! Eat what you can, if it stays down it is probably a good thing.
** Call me crazy, but mac and cheese, fried chicken and lasagna doesn't sound so appealing these days.**
13. Sleep to avoid nausea. Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it.
*** OH! Go to bed!!! That's my problem! I've been up for 10 days straight with nothing to do so I just pass the time by vomiting! The thought of sleep never crossed my mind.**
14. One mom swears by cold veggies soaking in water to help relieve the churning feeling.
** Dirty hippy.**
Remember that not all of these will work for everyone, try some and find out which work for you.
** Thank you, for all these fabulous suggestions.....$100 bucks says the author has a penis.**

6 comments:

Cherri Regnier said...

I am sooo sorry that you are feeling so sick. The worst is that you probably aren't throwing up...just feeling like you need to throw up.

You are too funny! I loved every comment. Funny funny funny.

Olive-us said...

Cherri- I am throwing up an average of 6 to 8 times in a 24 hour period. It's horrible!!
Some days, only once or twice. Some days it's 7. My worst day was 9.
Please help!

Cherri Regnier said...

Oh no, I feel so sad for you. What can I do? I want to help! That is the worst news I've heard all day. I am glad you are still humorous even while you are so ill. What does Olive think?

sheena said...

Oh Shawna. I am so sorry.

I was vomiting daily--although not that much...and I never wanted to complain about it to my doc....didn't want to show my weaknesses. But finally at 16 weeks I said something and he said "oh no problem" and gave me some magical pills. They worked. Too bad I went without them for half my pregnancy!!

And please, no matter how bad it gets, no matter how much vomit is encrusted on your keyboard, never stop blogging.

Hess Fam said...

I'm rolling on the ground, holding my pee in, and dying because you are my favorite funniest. I love your guts! How was the party??

Hess Fam said...

Hey! Hope the Dr's. appt. went well. Will you email me our fun pics from today???
meghess80@yahoo.com
Thanks!