Thursday, July 10, 2008

Unfit Fish Mother



I have already established the fact that I am nesting...BIG TIME.

One of my many IMPORTANT things to do today was clean out the fish tank. So, I did just that. I put our three beloved fishy friends in a bowl of water while I meticulously (remember, I am practically oozing Oxytocin from my pores) scoured the brightly colored faux plants, hot pink rocks, pirate ship, and filter until they were perfect. I then filled the five gallon tank with distilled water (oh, yes I did) and happily called Olive over to help me return the fish to their spotless home.

She excitedly ran over, I put her on the counter, and grabbed the bowl to begin the festivities. Without looking in the bowl first, (big mistake) I handed it to Olive to have her do the honors.

With a huge smile on her angelic face, she carefully poured the fish back into the tank. As I was in mid praise of telling her what a great job she was doing, she looked at me horrified and said, "OH, NO!!!"

And there they were.

Jingle Bells, Shawna, and Roxi, our three little neon tetras, floating lifelessly amongst the plastic plant life.

"NO WAY!" I exclaimed. Partly because I was surprised they died (of natural causes) so quickly, but mostly because I had now wasted 45 minutes of my time cleaning the dang tank!

Then sweet, precious Olive, with the poutiest, saddest face says to me, "Mommy, you forgot to take care of them."

I was pissed.

So, I consoled her with an appropriate snack of goldfish crackers and told her we could go to the pet store and she could pick out some pink fish. She was instantly happy.

But as for me, I am so confused!

EVERY TIME I clean the tank there is always a fatality.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Please help me friends, in my time of need.

8 comments:

Mamasita said...

You know I clean our tank with rubber gloves on and who knew little golder didn't like warm water? Through my thick yellow gloves the temp felt pretty good. 3 quick laps around my pyrex bowl and that was it. that little sucker turned flat on his side. Fish are so temperamental. Luckily thay are $0.69. Sorry you wasted 45 minutes. RIP tetras.

Trisha said...

I've had a few fish and was told that they need bacteria or algae to survive, so it you clean it too well they can't live. You must be a good cleaner! If you need something to clean come on over.

sheena said...

do you clean olive's room? please be very very careful.

Kaylynn said...

I have the same problem with plants - like you I have stuck with kids! They don't seem to wither up and die on me! (Although Kris may be getting close no matter how much I feed him I can't get that guy to put any meat on his bones)

Kaylynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Braden and Jodee said...

I love that you gave her goldfish crackers for a snack. love it, love it.

DAD said...

Don’t think you supposed to use industrial strength 409 to clean fish bowls, I could be wrong, next time call Derek and see what the Aquarium of the Pacific uses

Olive-us said...

Dad,
I never thought about Derek! Good call!