Thursday, January 3, 2008

W.W.J.D? What Would Jo Do?


I just love Jo the Supernanny.
I love her books and her show.
I love her style: calm, firm, loving and fair, allows children to make independent choices with non-violent circumstances if a "bad" choice is made (time-outs on a "naughty chair"), creates schedules for a fun yet structured home, and is all about positive praise.

Last night, ABC ran two back-to-back episodes of Supernanny (which I diligently studied) and I realized just how much she has positively influenced my parenting style. I have learned that by remaining calm and not raising my voice (which is sometimes VERY hard to do), not engaging in power struggles, absolutely no spanking, Time-outs in a "naughty corner" and positive praise and affection, has produced extraordinary results in setting boundaries with Olive.

I only wish Jo could help me with my husband's disciplinary needs. If I put him on a "naughty chair", he would probably get the wrong idea.

1 comment:

Hess Fam said...

Uh...what kind of a "naughty chair" are you talking about! Remember...you're preg. He's not really into that these days!!!!! ;) I'm totally in for Tuesday!