Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Firsts

This past week was full of "firsts" for Olive. We did a lot of new and exciting things as a family and were able to document some of them.

First face painting.



The park by my mom's house had a festival where there were face painters. On our way to the funnel cake line (yes, please), we happened to stroll pass the face painting booth when she said to me, "I want that, mommy." Needless to say, I was surprised that:
A. She willingly wanted to have something dirty her face (she's very picky about having her face wiped clean at all times).
B. She was going to have a complete stranger dirty up her face.

I obliged and she chose the turtle or "Crush" (from Finding Nemo) as she referred to it.
She held very still for the three minutes it took to decorate her face and was so serious after it was on. My mom and I were trying to get her to smile for pictures and she refused. She would just purse her lips together and mutter out the words "go" as a cue for us to snap away.
Very funny.


First encounter with Traveler.

This is Traveler.
He and Tommy Trojan are the official mascots for USC.
My husband, a USC fanatic, has brainwashed our innocent child to love all things USC, thus including Traveler. At bedtime, Rob's USC book is one of Olive's most requested books to read mainly because she wants to see"'Tra-a-a-a-a-a-avler the horsey" .


Yesterday, Rob and I decided to take Olive to the local Equestrian Center to check out all the horses. Low and behold, the first horse we see loose in the corral is this beautiful white stallion, or to Olive's two year old eyes, her beloved Traveler.
She was so excited! In fact while this picture is being taken she is happily chanting U..S..C! U..S..C!
Very scary.


First time watching the Pixar Play Parade at Disney's California Adventure.

This a relatively new parade to DCA and it's very cute. It represents all of Disney and Pixar's movies like Toy Story, Monster's Inc., Finding Nemo, Cars, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille. I strongly recommend it to those with little ones. It's got it all: dancing and singing, fun music, and of course, Lightning McQueen.
Very Fun.


First time driving a car.

We waited in line for 35 minutes for her to have a chance to drive Suzy the car at Disneyland's Autopia. She and Rob loved it. I on the other hand was tired and craved a churro.
When she got out of the car I excitedly said to her, "You drove a car!"
With her eyes wide open and bulging out of their sockets she replied, "Her name was Suzy and she was to-o-o-o-o fast!"
Very traumatizing.


First born.

My little gal is my "first". She now sleeps in a "big girl" Twin bed and can't wait to be a big sister. She has grown up so quickly, it's frightening. She is the most incredible thing in the world to me and being my "first" is something that will never change.
Very special.

8 comments:

Sarah Hull said...

That last part made me emotional! There is something special about your first born. I believe they teach us more than we teach them!

Looks like you guys have been staying busy and having a lot of fun! Loving the face painting. Too cute!

I miss you. let's gather and eat soon.

Kenny said...

I second Sarah's comment...especially the eating part.

Trisha said...

I second Sarah's comment, but the emotional part....I wasn't ready to get teary eyed reading your normally hilarious entries. Thank goodness for the adorable picture of Olive in front the the horse!

zuniga family said...

I love the picture of her by the white stallion, chanting USC!! How cute is she!!!! Could you please call me back sometime? I swear I have left 3 messages and still no answer. At least I know you are still alive! I third sarah's food suggestion!

Ash and Christian said...

I can't handle that Olive has sassier hair-dos than me. Maybe I need to come over in the morning and you can help both me and Ava out.

Amen to emotional times and eating. But I'd much rather eat than cry.

DAD said...

I am so happy for you, Rob and Olive. What you see now is just the start of some of the most special times of your life, and with a new little one almost there it gets even better. Soak it all in and enjoy. I still am with you and Kasey.

Kaylynn said...

Thank you for your post. I really needed it. I'm on my third child and sometimes the "first's" get missed because life is so busy with the other kids. Thank you for reminding me to slow down and enjoy all the new things that Kara is experiencing. With that said, there will always be something special about going through those firsts with the first child - because not only are they going through them for the first time but we are too as mothers. Can't wait to see you next week. Thanks again.

Mamasita said...

I am dying over all those pictures! I know that picture of Olive chanting USC is Rob's favorite picture! She is growing up so fast..But, it's so fun. I cant wait to see you guys net week!